03/31/2008. The Hoopoe design was built as a private venture and Hawker’s tender submitted to Spec. N.21/26. Powered by a 450 hp Bristol Mercury II nine-cylinder radial, it was flown for the first time in October 1928, Service assessment outcome encouraged further development.
When fitted with floats in 1929, however, it proved to be underpowered and it was fitted with a 520 hp Bristol Mercury IV.
Later in 1929, the floats were removed and the aircraft was fitted with single-bay wings, replacing the initial two-bay wings. It was also fitted with a 400 hp Armstrong-Siddeley Jaguar V fourteen-cylinder two-row radial.
In 1930 it was fitted with a 560 hp Armstrong Siddeley Panther III fourteen-cylinder two-row radial, as pictured here. Later the engine was fitted with concentric Townend rings, wheel spats and a large tailskid. Eventually preference was given to in-line engines and the Hoopoe was scrapped in 1932.