07/31/2012. Remarks by Walter van Tilborg: "The Bonzo was the first all-new Formula One (Goodyear) racer developed by Sylvester J. (Steve) Wittman after WW II. (Wittman's reuse of the name of his 1934 racer has been a source of continued confusion to aviation historians ever since! For clearing purposes the 1948 version has been incorrectly referred to as the Little Bonzo and Bonzo II.)
Registered as N1292 the aircraft was first flown on July 16, 1948, powerplant was the mandatory 85 hp Continental C85 engine. Shortly after the first flight, a slightly lower vertical tail was fitted, while in 1968 it was re-engined with an 100 hp Continental O-200-A. Listed as Racer number "1" the aircraft was very successful during its racing career which ended in 1987. The sole Bonzo was donated to the EAA AirVenture Museum in 1994 after it had been restored to almost original condition including the C85 engine."