06/15/2006. Remarks by Jack McKillop: "This aircraft was built for Trans-Canada Airlines (TCA) of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. This 10-A, equipped with a 450 hp Pratt & Whitney R-985-SB Wasp Junior nine-cylinder, air-cooled radial engines, was delivered to TCA on October 1, 1937, registered CF-TCA, assigned Fleet Number 23, and flew the first scheduled route from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, to Seattle, Washington, USA.
With the outbreak of WW II, this aircraft was impressed by the
Canadian Department of National Defence on October 12, 1939 and assigned to
the RCAF on October 23, with s/n 1526. By 1940, it was assigned to
No. 12 (Communications) Squadron based at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, Canada.
The aircraft was briefly leased to TCA beginning on July 22, 1941 before
being returned to the RCAF.
This 10-A was struck off charge by the RCAF on January 16, 1946 and
transferred to the War Assets Corporation for disposal. It was purchased by
Thunder Bay Flying Club of Fort Williams, Ontario, and registered CF-BTD.
On April 9, 1946, it was transferred to Thunder Bay Airlines of Fort
Williams. In February 1947, the aircraft was sold to a private buyer and
later sold in the USA to a private individual and registered NC79237.
December 1947, this Electra was purchased by Wisconsin Central Airlines of
Madison, Wisconsin. This airline had been certified to operate in Illinois,
Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin; service between these states began on
February 24, 1948 with six Model 10 Electras. The US registration system
changed on January 1, 1949 by dropping the 'C' and it became N79237.
In 1951, this Electra was sold to Mid-Sky Company of Chicago, Illinois, and
was re-registered N1285 and assigned Fleet Number '51' and named 'Lady
Alice'. Shortly thereafter, the aircraft was leased to Midway Airlines of
Chicago. In 1952, the starboard wing and landing gear were damaged in a
ground loop in Mexico City, Mexico, and repaired. In 1959, the aircraft was
sold to Great Lakes Airmotive of Willow Run, Michigan; this company ran an
air taxi, modification and overhaul service.
On December 26, 1961, the starboard wing and landing gear were damaged due
to a belly-landing at Ypsilanti Airport, Michigan due to mechanical
failure. In February 1962, this aircraft was sold to State Airlines, Inc.,
of Charlotte, North Carolina, an aircraft leasing service. State sold it
to a private owner who had the aircraft rebuilt at Willow Run, Michigan.
Restored to the US civil registry on July 21, 1966 as N79237, it made its
first flight after the rebuild in July 1966.
In 1967, this aircraft flew around the world between June 7, and July 10, in
34-days and 263 flying hours, piloted by Ann Pellegreno, to celebrate the
30th Anniversary of Amelia Earhart's flight in 1937.
On October 2, 1968, this 10-A was sold to Canada's National Museum of
Science and Technology in Ottawa, Ontario; the aircraft had 10,984 hours on
the airframe. It was transferred to the Canadian National Aeronautical
Collection and restored as CF-TCA in TCA markings. This famous aircraft is
currently on display at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum at Ottawa, Ontario. View also photo 5752."