RON DUPAS PHOTO
No. 355. Lockheed 422-87-23 F-5G Lightning (CF-JJA c/n 422-8209)
Photographed at Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
04/30/2008. This aircraft was original built for the USAAF as a P-38L-5-LO, s/n 44-27205. It was one of 68 P-38L-5-LO’s converted at Lockheed’s Dallas Modification Center to a F-5G-6-LO, the last photographic-reconnaissance version of the Lightning. It featured an enlarged nose with four vertical photo cameras and one oblique at the front. It went to the RFC at Kingman, Arizona on December 18, 1945 for disposition.
Text from an advertisement in May 1944 issue of Flying magazine
THE ARMY HAS BLUE "EYES"
Lockheed P-38 camera planes are the "eyes" of the US Army.
At 30,000 feet they're invisible, blended with the sky by camouflage.
Yet when these camera eyes look down, their view is framed only by
the horizon- a vast tableland, rich in detail vital to successful
Look to Lockheed for Leadership