The OKB (experimental construction bureau) considered four-engined
version of Tu-104 for safety reasons. This needed major redesign of
the wing-center section to house the side-by-side staggered engines.
It was claimed that the new model would provide greater economy and range.
The first aircraft, carrying military markings and the s/n
5600, had original Tu-104 wing and fuselage, and flew for the time on
March 11, 1957 with D.V. Zyuzin at the controls.
The second aircraft, also carrying military markings but no s/n,
flew in April 1959, with the forward fuselage lengthened by 4
ft 1.6 in (1.26 m) and the inboard wing sections extended by 4 ft
1.25 in (1.25 m).
Aeroflot announced that the type would be used on domestic and
international routes, one of the two build was briefly used as a VIP
transport but never flew outside the Soviet Union.
Better handling characteristics and performance were claimed over the
Tu-104, but due to standardization and other reasons, no further
examples were build.
NATO assigned the identification name Cooker to the aircraft.