05/31/2008. The third YB-35 was modified on the production line to one of the YB-49's by fitting eight 4,000 lb s.t Allison TG-180 J35-A-5 turbojet engines instead of the planned four 3,000 hp Pratt & Whitney R-4360 radial engines driving dual contra-rotating propellers.
The aircraft was flown for the first time by Northrop's Chief Test Pilot Max Stanley and his crew from Hawthorne, California to Muroc AFB on October 21, 1947. The aircraft was destroyed during a high speed taxi test at Edwards Air Force Base on March 15, 1950.
Muroc AFB was renamed Edwards Air Force Base on December 8, 1949 in memory of USAF test pilot Captain Glen Edwards, who died on June 5, 1948 in the fatal crash of the second YB-49 prototype, s/n 42-102368. View also photo 2302.