08/15/2008. Pictured is the last of thirteen YP-59As that was delivered to the USAAF in 1944. Some P-59s were modified to have a second cockpit in front of the original one and were used as observers, drone directors, jet familiarization aircraft, transport, and simply for joy rides.
At least two had an open cockpit, the XP-59A 42-108784 and YP-59A
42-108783, while a third, YP-59A 42-108777, had a covered cockpit.