10/31/2010. Presently the only flyable Saab B 17, this aircraft was produced under the Svenska Flygvapnet (Swedish AF) serial 17239. It first flight on July 27, 1943, was also its delivery flight to nearby (15 mls, 24 km) Såtenäs, where it was assigned to Flygflottilj 7, officially known as the Kungliga Skaraborgs Flygflottilj (Royal Skaraborg Wing). It served with the 2nd Squadron of F 7, coded 'Blå Johan' (blue John) till it was withdrawn from service in 1948.
In 1954 the B 17A was registered SE-BYH and used as a target tug by Svensk Flygtjänst (Swedish Air Services) of Stockholm, from 1957 by Avia on the island of Gotland until it was retired on June 30, 1968. Subsequently it was put in storage with the Flygvapenmuseum, (Swedish AF museum) at Linköping. For the 60th anniversary of Saab, the aircraft manufacturer overhauled and restored the B 17A to flying condition in 1996-1997. Carrying the F 7 and 'Blå Johan' markings, the aircraft made its second maiden flight on June 11 1997. View also photo 10005.