This bright yellow painted little aircraft was to be the ancestor of a generation of Swiss jet fighters. It was designed by EFW (Eidgenössisches Flugzeugwerk, Federal Aircraft Factory) at Emmen in parallel to the P.16, designed by Flug und Fahrzeugwerke. While the P.16 had a single engine, the Arbalète (Crossbow) had four 220 lb (100 kg) s.t. Turboméca Piméné engines: one above and below each wing. The wing itself was a hermaphrodite between an arrow and a delta planform.
Construction began in October
1950 and the first flight was made on November 16, 1951. Test flights
proved successful and construction of the full size jet fighter
prototype N-20.10 Aiguillon (Sting) was started. Despite the eminent
maiden flight the program was terminated due to financial and
political reasons in November 1953.
The Arbalète is displayed
at the Verkehrshaus der Schweiz (Swiss Transport Museum) at Lucerne;
the Aiguillon is displayed at the Flieger FLAB Museum, at the Air
Force Center at Dübendorf.