DAVID HORN COLLECTION
No. 9844. Standard J-1 (N2825D c/n 1582)
04/30/2010. This was one of the 1,601 examples produced for the US Army Signal Corps in 1917 and 1918, by Standard (750), Dayton-Wright (400), Fisher Body Works (400), and Wright-Martin (51). Originally powered by an eight-cylinder water-cooled V-engine, either the 90 hp Curtiss OX-5 or the 100 hp Hall-Scott A-4, the pictured aircraft was re-engined with a similar 150 hp Hispano-Suiza A. In the 1930 it was acquired by Paul Mantz, in 1955 it was rebuilt, using parts from another J-1, and it is presently part of the Kermit Weeks collection at Polk City, Florida.
Created April 30, 2010