10/31/2011. Remarks by Gary Hebbard: "In December 1973 three VC-9C VIP transport version of the proven DC-9 were ordered for the USAF (s/n 73-1681 to 73-1683, c/n 47668, 47670, 47671) to modernize its aging executive transport fleet. The second aircraft (pictured here) was first flown on January 29, 1975 and delivered to the 89th Airlift Wing at Andrews AFB, Maryland on March 11, 1975.
The VC-9Cs main cabin was divided into three main compartments: the crew rest area, which provided four first-class seats; a Distinguished Visitor compartment, with seating for ten passengers; and the aft cabin with four-abreast first-class seating for 32 passengers. Two lavatories and one galley were located aft and one lavatory and galley forward.
The 2,250 gal (8,516 l) supplemental fuel system enabled the aircraft to carry a 10,000 pound (4,536 kg) payload a distance of 3,050 mls (4,909 km), giving it almost twice the range of a standard DC-9. Special radio equipment permitted discrete air-to-ground communication, and an Inertial Navigation System provided the capability for precise long-range navigation completely independent of ground aids.
S/n 73-1682 became the primary transport for the vice president with the call sign AIR FORCE TWO when the vice president was aboard. It was also used by the president when his Boeing 747 was too big for the runway at his destination. Hence 73-1682 had the distinction of being retrofitted with upgraded communications needed in a vice presidential transport At other times the plane carried first ladies, high-ranking government officials, visiting foreign dignitaries and other VIPs throughout the USA.
Redesignated C-9C in 1977 this aircraft and it's two companions finished their service between 2005 and 2010, and s/n 73-1682 was delivered to the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover AFB on August 18, 2011. It will become a key part of their collection, showing visitors that transports haul not only cargo but passengers, including the nation's leaders."