10/31/2008. Produced in late 1944, this aircraft was accepted by the USAAF, s/n 44-83514, on March 13, 1945, and flew operations in the Pacific till it was stored in Japan at the end of WW II. In 1947 it was configured as a RB-17G and used for photo-mapping in the Pacific for three years. Thereafter it returned to the USA and was first converted to a DB-17G air-sea rescue aircraft, subsequently to a DB-17G drone director. Finally it was withdrawn from use and stored at Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson, Arizona on January 27, 1959.
On July 31, 1959, the aircraft was registered to Acme Aircraft Parts of Compton, California as N9323Z, and in November 1960 to Western Air Industries of Anderson. Subsequently it was converted into an aerial tanker and listed as tanker number E17. From June 6, 1962 it flew for eighteen years with Aero Union Corporation of Chico, listed as tanker number C17 and 17.
The aircraft was acquired by the Confederate AF (CAF, presently known as Commemorative AF) on January 17, 1978, and a phased restoration brought the aircraft back to the WW II B-17G configuration. The aircraft is registered to the Commemorative AF (CAF) American Airpower Heritage Museum in Midland, Texas, and is operated by the CAF Arizona Wing.
Additional photos of "Sentimental Journey
": 1 2
(Daniel Gannon Collection